Blogger Tricks


February 03, 2010

Roll it out and Cut the Pie: Locate and Engage from behind cover

In my three years of airsoft I have learned many techniques and applications of engaging a target from behind cover. Most of it was through trial and error and from friends ot people Ive had the pleasure to play alongside of.


Consider this a small breakdown of my experience and by no means a complete guide.


Images and some of the information presented come from US Marine Core marksmanship handbook and from Officer.com. They are not my own nor am I presenting them as my own. They are propriety of the US Marine Core and are being used for educational purposes.


Stances



Weaver Stance



Isosceles Stance


Cut the Pie
This technique uses the weaver standing position because the position of the body minimizes the exposure to the enemy.
  • Stay behind cover away from the leading edge of cover. A great rule of thumb is that the further way from cover, the greater the area of observation; too close to cover decreases the area of of observation.
  • In the firing position adjust your sight to have a clear field of view, aiming in on the leading edge of cover.
  • Begin taking small side steps and slowly move out from behind cover; eyes move, the muzzle should move.
  • Continue moving out from cover until a target is identified or area is found to be clear.

Imagine the corner (behind cover) as a fixed point in the middle of a circle. As you move out from behind cover treat your path from around the corner as a trip around a circles circumference hence cutting the pie.

Rollout Technique
This technique was taught to me from very good friend (of Golf Company 2/5) at my very first airsoft game. I had kept getting shot every time I exposed my head around a corner, he advised me that I should already have my gun ready before I turn the corner and "roll out". This technique uses the isosceles stance.
  • Stay behind cover away from the leading edge of the cover. A great rule of thumb is that the further way from cover, the greater the area of observation; too close to cover decreases the area of of observation.
  • In the firing position adjust your sight to have a clear field of view, aiming in on the leading edge of cover.
  • Cant the head and firearm slightly roll the upper body out to the side. Keep the feet in place and push up on the ball of one foot to facilitate rolling out.
  • Continue to roll out from cover until a target is identified or the area is found to be found.

Example from the movie Blackhawk Down


With time and practice the time may come to utilize both and the pie and rollout technique  in order to engage from behind cover. Switching from one technique to another alow the shooter to minimize their exposure to the enemy and reduce the time they are exposed to enemy fire.


Effectively using the for-mentioned techniques can give you the upper hand. After all its hard to shoot a target that wont give you much to shoot at. Being in the ready position and cautious enough when engaging behind cover gives you, the operator, the upper hand.

1 comments:

D3c0Y said...

Awesome! LOL I'm in Golf Co. LOL

Post a Comment