Blogger Tricks


April 23, 2009

Scopes, optics, sights -oh my!

Scopes, optics, and sights are probably foremost most sought after external accessory for an airsoft rifle. Why? Quiet honestly I feel that majority of new players feel its a neccesary external mod. With experiance comes knowledge and many find out soon that this is not true.


Now I havent had too much experiance with magnified scopes but if I were to get one Id choose something no > 3x reason being is that at higher power magnification it would become harder to track BB travel. The only a need for a magnified scope is in a DMR or Sniper rifle setup, on much more short barrelled weapons I feel that its a bit over kill.

However, I have grown to love the scope used by Sgt. Colbert (Alexander SkarsgÄrd) in the HBO Mini-Series Generation Kill.


This M4A1 is equipped with an M203 grenade launcher and  AN/PVS-17 scope. Doing some quick searching on the scope I find the retail price of $2k-$6k. If anything Id get a regular Leapers or G&P scope and make a cheap version (non-nvg).

In my experiance with optics I have had the RDS Aimpoint replica's. I went with a standard AMP RDS then to the AMP 30mm railed optic. Both worked fine except for one which kept breaking during gameplay. It became troublesome that I sold the tri-railed version fairly quickly.



So I quickly ditched that and got a hold of an EoTech 551 replica (non-holosight) and I absolutely loved this thing in well light area's. Its downfall was in its illumination strength. During indoor or night games this thing was great, however, during outdoor or area's with lots of light you could not see the reticle. I was able to switch from the green optic during the day to the red variety for the night. The only problem was is there was no protection of its forward lens so it quickly got shot out.

Now I am back to iron sights and I dont know why I left. Sure my target accquisition is not a quick as with the 551 but I feel that I have become such a stronger shooter with the irons. I have learned to zero in faster and better sight alignment wit the target. Its also great that I dont continuely buy batteries.

If I were to do it all over again I think I would have stuck with the iron sights, learned them, used them, get comfortable with them. Then moved on to other forms of optics. There is a reason why people use RBUIS (rear back up iron sight) because if all else fails there always a way to shoot.

UPDATE:
The extreme-fire SW-Computer came in today and I was very anxious to put it in. However, with my lack of soldering and gearbox experiance I will hold off on it untill I can get it to a friend who has worked on my AEG before. I am very impressed with its quality and build. I cant wait to get this thing wired in and running better yet I cant wait to get it on the field.

1 comments:

Dio Siador said...

Nice site. Love this post.

Post a Comment