Blogger Tricks


April 09, 2009

Mosfet woes...



So whats a mosfet? Think of it as an electronic gate between the trigger and the motor. Its there so that the trigger doesnt dump un-regulated power directly to the motor. What does that mean? Its more efficient, increases your rate of fire (ROF), and increases trigger response.

Some mosfets like the one above include active breaking (AB) which means that it will always do a full rotation of the gears so that your spring is never compressed when off the trigger. Why is this good? Increases the life of your spring so you don't loose FPS no more half trigger press. More advanced mosfets like the ones from Extreme Fire feature a electronic controller which allow for a 3-burst setting.

Long story short, trust me its long, I found my mosfet went bad.

There are great quality mosfets and poor mosfets. The mosfet that I bought from a company that will remain nameless (*AHEM* HHAIRSOFT *AHEM*) apparently could not handle the energy from an Airsoft gun. Probably why they provide a thermal resettable fuses as an option when you buy a mosfet. I sourced another mosfet, hopefully a better build quality, and awaiting its arrival for me to install. Do not get my wrong I have nothing bad to say about the company its a great mosfet wish I got the resettable fuse to save me another purchase.

I also switched over to Deans connectors because of lower resistance.

Moral of the story? You know the inline fuse to the positive battery connection on a store bought AEG? Yeah dont remove that. If I had kept that I would be buying a fuse rather than a whole other mosfet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment